Monday, February 11, 2013

AJK in Other Places

I hope nobody has this on RSS or anything, since this post is basically just for my family members (which is, like most blogs, the vast majority of the readership) to keep up.

At the end of August, I posted on Scribd my "Architectural Defense Against Drones" article. It was always supposed to be a "gee isn't this neat" sort of thing.

A few weeks ago I made a joke to Manan Ahmed on Twitter about the article. He was one of the inspirations for it, so it was very neat that he took interest in the project and wanted to publish it on Chapati Mystery. So he did.

I never thought it was going to go farther than Prof. Ahmed's little coterie of people. I thought it would be fun to have something to talk about with all those awesome South Asianists, historians, and other people if I ever met them one day. But it turns out that it got into a lot deeper water than that.

I did interviews for The Atlantic Cities and The Takeaway.

From there, it really kind of got out of hand. So now you can read about my little sandcastle on The Smithsonian Mag, FastCo Design, Popular Science, Vice, Animal New York, Andrew Sullivan's Dish, and BoingBoing.

And incredibly amusing to me, Forbes gave it a writeup and so did Lawfare. In what should be incredibly unsurprising news, I don't think they really got what I was going for.

There's lots of other thoughts out there on the project, but those are at least the ones I'm aware of. There's some weird corners of the internet that are talking about it, but I suppose that's part of the fun of the internet; everything you say on it will be stretched to cover all sorts of new things. I say that in all earnestness, by the way. I understand Gary Larson's fear about this sort of thing, but it's kind of exciting and interesting to see how people take a 10-page doodle and really go to town with it.

So I probably have lots more to say, but nothing that's really relevant to right now. If you have any questions for me about this sort of thing, you should be able to figure out how to contact me. Or just leave a comment or something.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. You mentioned in your last post, 'So if you're interested in basketball or minority life in Turkey or just me, check out the article.' Basketball bores me. 'Minority life in Turkey' does interest me as do you, who seem to be Kurdish and/or living in Turkish Kurdistan. 'On Violence' seems to interest us both. Email me at ptmaritz@gmail.com if you would like to talk.

    ReplyDelete